Thursday, December 24, 2009

ho ho ho -- gag -- ho ho ho




Christmas Eve 2009


i am just an old woman

grappling with self-awareness

as pathetic as J. Alfred Prufrock

as clownish as one of the Stooges

as vapid as daytime tv



how did I let this happen?

i turned in circles

and let the years rush by

stupidly reassuring myself:



there is always time

there is always time




but until some brilliant physicist

has cracked the code of time



it is linear

it is one-way

it is old photos fading because

of their obsolete technology

it is recordings in my head

of the voices I’ll never hear again



my dad, my sister, my grandparents,

Aunt Tammie, Aunt Tantie, Aunt Neno,

Uncle Dunk, Uncle James, Uncle JD,

Uncle George, Uncle Herbert, Uncle Charlie,

Aunt Patsy, Uncle Herbert, Woodie, Aunt Margaret,

Charlene, Cindy, Mimi, Trudi, Becky



people I loved

and people who did not hear that enough from me



and how about the ones who broke my heart?

i don’t blame them – I know I was the schmuck

i loved too much, too much

it just makes that bitterness I must swallow

bigger bigger



i am just an old woman

gazing backwards over the rubble

paralyzed by the truth

stunned by my own mediocrity

No comments:

Post a Comment